Directors' statement of responsibilities
The Annual Report 2009 contains the following statements regarding responsibility for the financial statements and business review included in the Annual Report 2009.
The Directors are responsible for preparing the Annual Report, the Directors’ Remuneration Report and the financial statements in accordance with applicable law and regulations.
Company law requires the Directors to prepare financial statements for each financial year. Under that law the Directors have prepared the Group and Parent Company financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) as adopted by the European Union. In preparing these financial statements, the Directors have also elected to comply with IFRSs issued by the International Accounting Standards Board (IASB). The financial statements are required by law to give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Company and of the Group as at the end of the financial year and of the profit or loss of the Group for that period.
In preparing those financial statements the Directors are required to:
- select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
- make judgements and estimates that are reasonable and prudent;
- state that the financial statements comply with IFRSs as adopted by the European Union; and
- prepare the financial statements on a going concern basis, unless it is inappropriate to presume that the Group will continue in business, in which case there should be supporting assumptions or qualifications as necessary.
The Directors are responsible for keeping proper accounting records that disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the Company and the Group and to enable them to ensure that the financial statements and the Directors’ Remuneration Report comply with the Companies Act 1985 and, as regards the Group financial statements, Article 4 of the IAS Regulation. They are also responsible for safeguarding the assets of the Company and the Group and hence for taking reasonable steps for the prevention and detection of fraud and other irregularities.
The Directors are responsible for the maintenance and integrity of the Company’s website www.landsecurities.com. Legislation in the United Kingdom governing the preparation and dissemination of financial statements may differ from legislation in other jurisdictions.
Directors’ responsibility statement
Each of the Directors, whose names are listed below confirm that, to the best of their knowledge:
- the financial statements, prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities, financial position and loss of the Company and the undertakings included in the consolidation as a whole;
- the adoption of a going concern basis for the preparation of the financial statements continues to be appropriate based on the foregoing and having reviewed the forecast financial position of the Group; and
- the management reports (which are incorporated into the Directors’ report) contained in the Annual Report include a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Company and the undertakings included in the consolidation as a whole, together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that they face.
The Directors of Land Securities Group PLC as at the date of this announcement are as set out below:
The Board of Directors
- Alison Carnwath*, Chairman
- Francis Salway, Chief Executive
- David Rough*
- Martin Greenslade
- Bo Lerenius*
- Mike Hussey
- Sir Stuart Rose*
- Richard Akers
- Sir Christopher Bland*
- Kevin O’Byrne*
By order of the Board
- Peter Dudgeon
- 12 May 2009